News and Events
See a list of all news since October 1, 2009
CMS Reporting DEADLINE is Approaching for NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance: March 31, 2017 (2/28/2017)
To meet the CMS ESRD QIP NHSN reporting requirements for Payment Year 2018, outpatient hemodialysis clinics must submit their fourth quarter 2016 Dialysis Event data collected from October 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016 by Friday, March 31, 2017. New or revised fourth quarter data entered into NHSN after March 31 will not be sent to CMS. Therefore, please be aware that any changes or corrections to fourth quarter 2016 data should be made prior to the reporting deadline.
The CDC recommends using the following resources to review your data before the deadline. These resources and others can be found on the Dialysis Event homepage:
- Review the NHSN Dialysis Event Protocol to ensure all data were correctly reported to NHSN.
- 3 Steps to Review Dialysis Event Surveillance Data
- NHSN Guide to Interpreting the Dialysis Event 21 Day Rule Checks Report
- Use the How to Create and Read an NHSN Report for CMS ESRD QIP guide to verify your facility has met the minimum CMS reporting requirements.
- Refer to the How to Create and Read an NHSN Report for Bloodstream Infections guide to review your facility’s bloodstream infection rates.
Contact the NHSN Helpdesk (email@example.com, subject line 'Dialysis') with any questions.
Important NHSN Information (1/31/2017)
To fulfill the annual training requirement, at least one NHSN user at each facility must read the Dialysis Event Protocol and take the online Dialysis Event Surveillance Training after January 1, 2017 and before September 30, 2017. By completing the annual training and passing the post-test, you will earn 1.5 CME/ 1.3 CNE/ 0.1 CEUs.
Outpatient Dialysis Center Practices Survey
A new version of the Outpatient Dialysis Center Practices Survey will become available on February 1 and must be completed before your facility will be permitted to enter May 2017 Dialysis Event data. The survey will ask questions about your facility's practices during the first week of February 2017. Facilities will not be able to submit a completed survey until after February 7. Administrative users can create a survey by clicking 'Surveys' and 'Add' on the blue navigation panel in NHSN. A paper version of the new survey and a table of instructions can be found under the 'Data Collection Forms and Instructions' tab of the Dialysis Event homepage.
Manage NHSN Users
- Get access to NHSN! - At least one staff member at the facility is required to be trained and knowledgeable on how to report dialysis event data to NHSN. This is required regardless if electronic (clinical document architecture [CDA]) or manual methods are used to submit data. If your corporate organization reports on your facility's behalf, someone at the facility is still expected to review and verify the data reported are complete and accurate.
- Have a backup user! - We recommend every facility have at least two users with administrative rights in NHSN. Not only does this simplify issues related to staff turnover, it helps to ensure someone can report data to meet reporting deadlines if the primary NHSN user is on leave.
- Control who has access to your confidential data! - Once a user no longer requires NHSN access (e.g., he or she no longer works for the facility), deactivate his or her user profile immediately. For instructions on how to add or deactivate a user, see the January 2015 issue on the Dialysis Newsblast Archive webpage. If you have any questions, contact the NHSN helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org and include "Dialysis" in the subject line.
The information on this page was reviewed 2/28/2017.