Complaint and Grievance Process
Patients can call the Network office regarding grievances toll-free at (877) 936-9260.
Patients who have complaints about their care are encouraged first to utilize the local facility grievance process, since each facility is mandated to offer a problem-resolution process. In cases where that may not be possible and in cases where that has been tried and the resolution was unsatisfactory, patients may contact Network 8 by using the patient-only toll-free number or in writing.
The Network serves as an advocate, facilitator or educator when addressing patient complaints. The process involves an investigation, promotion of communication, and encouragement to all involved to work together toward an acceptable resolution.
All complaints and grievances presented to the Network will be evaluated immediately to determine if there is an immediate life-threatening situation. If it is determined to be life-threatening the complaint or grievance will immediately be forwarded to the State Survey Agency in your state and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Regional Office.
What is a Complaint?
A complaint is a written, verbal, or electronic request for assistance initiated by or on behalf of an ESRD patient (s) regarding concern(s) about ESRD issues including but not limited to care, treatment, or providers.
When the Network is contacted regarding a complaint the following occurs:
- The Network talks with the caller (complainant), the facility staff and may require the facility to provide documentation from facility records.
- The Network will review the complainant interview, facility staff interviews and facility documentation to make recommendations
- The Network will follow-up with the complainant and the facility to ensure recommendations have been followed.
What is a Grievance?
A grievance is a written, verbal, or electronic request for a formal investigation of a complaint, or a serious complaint involving a facility, physician, or other provider.
When the Network is contacted regarding a grievance the following occurs:
- The caller (grievant) receives an acknowledgement letter within 5 business days.
- The facility is contacted and required to send medical records and/or policies / procedures involving the grievance to the Network.
- The information is reviewed with the Network’s Medical Review Board Grievance Committee.
- A findings report with recommendations is sent to the facility.
- The caller (grievant) receives a final findings report and a follow-up call.
What Network 8 Can and Cannot Do
- Investigate your complaint/grievance
- Educate the staff and/or you about issues related to the complaint/grievance
- Advocate for the rights of all patients
- Mediate difficult situations between you and facility staff
- Provide the location and/or contact information of other dialysis units and/or physicians
- Provide information on Medicare ESRD Coverage
- Provide educational materials about ESRD and treatment options
- Direct a dialysis facility, transplant center, or physician to accept a patient
- Request that a specific staff member provide your care
- Change or get involved in facility personnel policies and procedures
- Assist with monetary compensation, payment of bills, or transportation arrangements
- Override State or Federal licensing/certification requirements
To contact the Network by telephone:
Use the patient-only toll-free number: 877-936-9260. This number is available between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday.
To contact the Network in writing:
Send your letter to:
Network 8, Inc.
P .O. Box 321475
Flowood, MS 39232
Please describe the situation and let us know if we have permission to disclose your name to the facility when we contact them to discuss your complaint. Provide your telephone number if you would like to be notified by telephone.
To view grievance posters developed by Network 8, Inc. for display in dialysis facilities, please click on the following links:
- Alabama poster with contact numbers (42 KB PDF file opens in new browser)
- Mississippi poster with contact numbers (42 KB PDF file opens in new browser)
- Tennessee poster with contact numbers (42 KB PDF file opens in new browser)
Revised February 2010